Invitation to the Rushmere St Andrew Parish Council: The Battle's Over Beacon Lighting Community Event - commemorating the centenary of the end World War I
Sunday 11th November 2018, 5.00 pm – 7.00 pm at Ipswich School Sports Club, The Street, Rushmere St Andrew
Join in the Nation’s tribute on Sunday 11 November 2018 to mark the day 100 years ago when the guns fell silent at the end of the First World War.
At 7.00 pm following a short ceremony conducted by the Rev Heather Marsden of Rushmere Baptist Church, and the reading out of the names of those from the parish that gave their lives, the Beacon will be lit by the winners of a competition to design a bookmark commemorating World War I. At the same time more than 1000 Beacons of Light will be lit throughout the United Kingdom and beyond and the church bells will ring out.
From 5.00 pm there will be:
- an exhibition of local WWI history and local historians on hand to answer your questions
- activities for children and displays from Broke Hall school
- Local Scout and Beaver Groups
- Hog Roast and hot and cold drinks including a bar (not free)
- FREE candy floss and popcorn stall
- There will be plenty of singing with The Orwell Singers including old WWI songs such as ‘A Long way to Tipperary, and ‘Pack up your Troubles in your old kit bag’.…and don’t worry we will supply song sheets
- Lighting Ceremony and Festival of Lights
This is a charity event involving the community and raising funds for good causes. The official charities are Royal Navy Association, Royal Airforce Benevolent Fund, ABF The Soldier’s Charity and The Merchant Navy.
Limited FREE tickets are available for this event from The Rushmere St Andrew Parish Office for anyone who lives in the parish of Rushmere St Andrew. To obtain tickets in the first instance please email your name, number of tickets required and address to the Assistant Parish Clerk, Sarah Jenkins.
We look forward to seeing you at this very special community event.
Please email the Assistant Parish Clerk at email@example.com
www.brunopeek.co.uk (National Event Details)